You’re tromping through lush, green forest with your family. You hear all the enchanting, familiar sounds of the woods: the whistle of wind through the pine trees, the sweet song of birds and crickets, and WAIT— what’s that sound?!
This ain’t your average hike.
Come and explore one of the four dynamic hiking trails, located on the property of a chimpanzee sanctuary in the North Georgia Mountains! These loop trails range in skill level from easy to difficult, so there is something for everyone to enjoy!
Bring your binoculars and see if you can spot one of the chimpanzees in their habitat from the overlook and be prepared to hear the exciting and energetic pant-hoots of the chimps throughout your journey. Also, keep your eyes peeled for a Hidden Heart on the Yellow or White trail: If you spot one, make sure to take it to our gift shop to claim a fun prize!
- The trails are open dawn to dusk.
- Please follow posted hiking trail rules.
- Leashed dogs are allowed.
- A suggested contribution of $2 per hiker to support the chimps can be donated when you arrive at the parking lot fee station.
- There are four different trails so guests of all ages and physical capabilities can enjoy the trails.
Will I see chimps?
- If you head up to the overlook with a pair of binoculars, you might be able to see the chimps in the Peachtree Habitat.
- You will certainly hear the chimps while you hike!
- To get an up close view of the chimps, please check out our visitation and event options here.
We all have a hidden heart, that little part of us we didn’t know would burst worth with joy and excitement when we first discovered something awe-inspiring. Many of our guests tell us that’s what happened the first time they make eye contact with one of the resident chimpanzees. And we were inspired to carry that theme to our hiking trails. The hidden hearts are part of a hide-and-seek style game played on the Chimp Trails. Each month, volunteers from the trail committee will hide two clear plastic hearts on the trails for lucky guests to find and redeem for chimp-themed prizes. Gather your friends and family to search for hearts that can be exchanged for event tickets or gift shop souvenirs. What little burst of joy will discovering a hidden heart bring to you today?
- The hidden hearts will be placed along the Yellow or White trails.
- You will not need to leave the trail to spot one, you just have to be on the lookout.
- Two hearts will be hidden each month, but many could be out there if they are not found!
- Come back often to increase your chances of finding one.
- When you find a heart, bring it to the gift shop or gatehouse, both of which you can find on the Nature Trail, to redeem your prize. We will keep the plastic heart to reuse again for the next lucky guest. If you find a heart after business hours, please email us or return another day with the heart to redeem your prize.
- Please only claim one prize per person per year. If you are lucky enough to spot a second heart, please leave it for the next hiker.